中文The statistics on depression are staggering. In this article you will learn more about the prevalence of depression and related mental health disorders in the nation and in the world at large.
According to studies conducted and published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, the World Health Organization and information gathered from the National Institute of Mental Health, the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance, the Center for Mental Health Services, and Brown University Long Term Care Quarterly, the following are true of people with depression.
General Depression Statistics
- Recent statistics suggest roughly seven of every one hundred people suffer depression after age 18 at some point in their lives.
- As many as one in 33 children and one in eight adolescents have clinical depression. Suicide is the third leading cause of death for ages 10 to 24.
- Most people diagnosed with major depression receive a diagnosis between their late twenties to mid-thirties.
- About six million people are affected by late life depression, but only 10% ever receive treatment.
- For every one man that develops depression, two women will, regardless of racial or ethnic background or economic status.
- More than half of all people caring for an older relative show clinically significant depressive symptoms.
- By the year 2020, depression will be the 2nd most common health problem in the world.
Statistics on Depression and Other Diseases
- Depression often exists with other diseases, including chronic pain, arthritis, diabetes and HIV patients.
- Depression is also known to weaken the immune system, making the body more susceptible to other medical illnesses.
- People with depression are four times as likely to develop a heart attack than those without a history of the illness. After a heart attack, they are at a significantly increased risk of death or second heart attack.
- 25% of cancer patients experience depression.
- 10-27% of post-stroke patients experience depression.
- 1 in 3 heart attack survivors experience depression.
- Almost half of all patients with Parkinson’s suffer from depression, ranging from mild to moderate.
- Approximately one of every two patients with an eating disorder suffers from major or clinical depression.
- 27% of individuals with substance abuse disorders (both alcohol and other substances) experience depression.
- Depression may increase a woman’s risk for broken bones.
Statistics on the Economic Impact of Depression
- Major depressive disorder is the leading cause of disability in the U.S. for ages 15-44.
- Clinical or major depression is the top cause of disability throughout the world for persons 5 and over.
- In the United States alone, businesses may spend anywhere from twelve to seventy billion dollars caring for or paying for the medical expenses of employees that have depression or suffer from a related mental illness.
Here is the good news however: depression is one of the most treatable illnesses – 80-90% find relief. Researchers diligently work to develop new and successful treatments for depression among all age groups. Studies suggest patients that seek treatment, whether from psychotherapy, medication therapy, holistic therapy or a combination of these, as many as eighty percent or more improve dramatically. Unfortunately, many people with depression still suffer in silence, perhaps because they do not recognize the symptoms of depression or feel they cannot afford medical treatment for their disease.
If you or someone you know suffers from depression make sure you get help. There are literally thousands of online and offline support organizations.
(The above article is from Depression Help Spot)
下列的统计数据是跟据美国医学协会杂志（Journal of the American Medical Association）和世界卫生组织（World Health Organization）发表的调查结果和从美国精神健康学院（National Institute of Mental Health)、抑郁症和燥郁症支持联盟（Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance）、精神健康服务中心（Center for Mental Health Services）、和布朗大学长期护理季刊（Brown University Long Term Care Quarterly）搜集的资料整编的。
- 到2020年, 抑郁症将会成为全世界第二大最普遍的健康问题
- 27% 的酗酒和滥用药物的病人有抑郁症。
(根据Depression Help Spot的一篇文章翻译。)